Building vocabulary words is an important tool for many people. The broader your vocabulary, the more sophisticated your communication skills will become.
The goal of vocabulary building is to increase your verbal ability. Many standardized exams will test your verbal ability, usually in the form of sentence completions and analogies.
What are some techniques for learning vocabulary?
Obviously, practice learning new words and utilize your time efficiently. Spend a couple of minutes a day learning new words and reviewing. You can learn new words by reading a book or journal, browsing through the dictionary and thesaurus, or just studying from a review book. Obviously, we are providing you with a good list of words. Also, familiarize yourself with root words. Take advantage of different study methods such as using flashcards or an audio recording. Learn new words in groups or categories. Finally, apply what you have learned when talking to someone. Who knows, your enriched vocabulary might just make your friend look foolish in a conversation…or just simply annoyed!
In this section, we categorized the words according to the alphabet. These word choices may not be the best, but they will be quite helpful.
There are many reasons why it is important to enrich your list of vocabulary words. Here are a few reasons to consider:
- Building your vocabulary is important in reading comprehension.
- This will be very important in academic exams, such as the SAT, ACT, and MCAT.
- Building your vocabulary will improve your communication skills
- Your verbal and written communication skills will improve and you may be able to better understand another individual.
- Building your vocabulary may help improve your personal life, social life and career life.
- On a personal level, you might develop a better perception on many things in the world.
- On a social level, your communication skills with friends, family and other individuals would sharpen.
- You might be able to better articulate certain meanings or become an eloquent speaker.
- On a career level, you can use advanced vocabulary on a daily basis
- This can be important for:
- Job Interviews or School Interviews
Also implement your vocabulary practice on good interview questions. Often times, using a sophisticated language can be helpful in professional settings. Furthermore, proper usage of vocabulary in interviews can lead to a good impression for the interviewer.
Vocabulary Words - Back to SG Learn Online